Interns are facing some problems for blogging and even attracting some negative press. But this does not mean that interns should not blog! Blogging fosters several important characteristics that make a successful intern, scholar, professional, and person.
Yet, like everything else, there is a wrong way and a right way to intern blogging. Fortunately, I have not had to learn the hard way, but from the "bad" example of others.
The Do's and Dont's of Intern Blogging
- NEVER talk about confidential information from your work
- Refrain from office gossip
- Keep co-worker names out of the blogging conversation
- Be careful about disclosing where you work, your department and/or who you work with
- Have a public disclosure on your blog, something like this: "Please Note: All thoughts and ideas presented in this blog share no connection with my employer"
- Talk about important lessons you learned: "How To Make the Best Out of a Business Trip"
- Network with other people in the blogosphere
- Use your blog to express your interests and critically analyze what is going on
- Seek others like you to use as a resource: "Reaching Out New Interns Wanted"
- Recap your internship with important lessons you learned and others can use: "How To Become A Successful Intern"
These are some important lessons that I have learned throughout my blogging experience.
IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO OFFER, please comment!